Bowen® Therapy is a gentle, yet powerful therapy that stimulates the body to heal itself with minimal influence from the therapist. Much like Acupuncture, only a few areas are touched to treat the body as a whole rather than individual problems. Gentle, subtle touches called moves, are done over specific tendons and muscles to trigger a whole body "reboot" through the body's autonomic nervous system (ANS), which controls 80% of body functions. By utilizing the ANS, a Bowen® practitioner can affect changes at a deeper level in the body to get to the core of an imbalance and therefore begin the rehabilitative process. In order to thoroughly reset the body, a wait time of 2-20 minutes is used between each set of Bowen moves to allow the body time to unwind or sedate any over stressed areas. The wait times let the body begin its healing and show the practitioner what areas require more work or more time for the reset to take place. Often a therapist will check muscle tension in various areas before either moving on to the next set of moves, or performing the correction again in that same area. The body can only unwind at its predetermined speed and sometimes the body must correct deeper before another area can begin; forcing the body to move ahead of schedule will delay the overall healing of the patient and can in turn cause a setback in the whole recovery schedule.
Treatments are often recommended weekly during the initial corrective phase, then on a semi monthly basis until the body is able to maintain the corrections, after which a maintenance schedule is advised to help hold the body in an optimal functioning state.
A few examples of conditions Bowen® Therapy can help:
- TMJD (Tempo-Mandibular Joint Dysfunction) including jaw stiffness due to clenching and grinding, malocclusion (jaw is off-set), chronic pain, clicks and pops upon opening or closing. All moves are done externally and cause little to no pain. Recommended after any type of dental work, infants with a tongue or lip tie, times of high stress, or recurring neck pain.
- Whiplash and Post MVA (motor vehicle accident) injuries - pain, stiffness, decreased ROM (range of motion- inability or shoulder check, etc), headaches, troubles swallowing, dizziness or vertigo
- Pelvis - hip dysfunction, bow legged or knock kneed, toe in or out, heel and ankle pain, lumbar pain, Sciatic pain and leg referral, bladder incontinence or constipation.
- Thoracic pain - sprung ribs, chest tightness and congestion, gall bladder pain and discomfort, acid reflux/hernia, arm tingling/pain/numbness, or that stubborn knot under the shoulder blades.
- Lymph drainage post mastectomy - this is a very important DAILY self-care routine that needs to be performed as soon as possible after surgery. After receiving the first few Bowen® treatments to help loosen any tightness stemming from the surgery, a self-care treatment can be taught to help promote proper lymphatic flow from the arm back into the Thoracic cavity.
After a session, it is important to follow the recommendations of your therapist. Occasionally exercises will be given, these help to re-calibrate the areas just worked on and ensure healing to your full potential before your next treatment. It is important to drink lots of water (a 150lb person should drink a MINIMUM of 2.2L daily), go for short frequent walks, avoid the shower/bath/hot tub on treatment day, take a day off from the gym or workout routine, walk around barefoot (socks are okay) especially after having the legs or spine done.
Children & Infants:
Often children require therapy due to various sports, falls, colic, car accidents, bathroom problems... but have a hard time laying down for a massage or other treatments due to the fact that the therapy hurts. With Bowen®, that is no longer an obstacle due to the soft, gentle manner of the Bowen® moves. They lay on the table while Mom or Dad is in the room for them to see, receive their therapy, and not need to worry their "massage" will hurt. For Baby Bowen®, the parent can often hold the little one for the entire treatment so they stay as relaxed as possible, increasing the therapy's success.
Treatments are available at the Kinetic Centre. Bay 6, 2020 Strachan Road SE in Medicine Hat, AB. An average session is 40-60 minutes at a rate of $75. Please call 403-487-0059 or visit www.kineticcentre.com to book your appointment and specify it is a Bowen® treatment.